1 big

One of the things that really hurt my feelings are the cats & dogs who live on the streets in Turkey. The first day when I arrived in Turkey and saw the first stray dog it touched my heart. I couldn’t get it out of my mind for the whole day. I kept on thinking what if my Noa was born here and lived on the streets and had to search for food all day long. Some of the cats & dogs were really injured and starving. That was the moment when I decided to find a pet store, which took me a 4 hour walk to buy food for those poor baby’s and started to bring the food with me everywhere I went. I know it doesn’t really solve the problem, but I just wish that more people would do it, and help to make the life of the stray cats & dogs a little bit better.

+ Comment
  1. Sam says:
    October 2nd, 2013 at 10:38

Annemiek, dit vind ik echt fantastisch van je! Wat ontzettend goed dat je dat doet. Ik zou precies hetzelfde doen, anders zou ik het land verlaten met een gebroken hart. Ditzelfde probleem is ook in Griekenland en toen ik daar was kon ik er zo slecht tegen!

2. Mónica says:
    October 2nd, 2013 at 16:50

Although I absolutely agree with you, I can’t help notice some of those dogs and cats wear collars. I just want to say that it’s quite normal left your pets strolling around in the Mediterranean countries, most if the town is not really big. That doesn’t mean the pet is abandoned, it’s just free to walk wherever he or she wants. Anyway, I love your idea, it’s great to help those poor cats and dogs :D

3. Linda says:
    October 2nd, 2013 at 16:55

Wat mooi dit! Ik heb 4 maanden door Zuid-Amerika gereisd en hartverscheurende situaties voor dieren gezien. Ook goede dingen, zo zagen de zwerfhonden er in Salta erg goed uit en dat komt omdat ze als ‘honden van de stad’ worden gezien: iedereen is verantwoordelijk. Dus ze werden verzorgd en gevoed door restaurants en mensen op straat. Bakjes hondenvoer in tuinen.
    Je lost het probleem niet op idd, maar je hebt voor die dieren hun dag mooi gemaakt en dat is heel veel waard toch?

Mooie foto’s ook..!

x Linda

4. Saz says:
    October 2nd, 2013 at 20:09

Maybe you`d like to check that out:

It`s a way to make a difference for many animals, dogs included.
    I am a fashion addict too, but I donate money to differnet organizations regularly and I think everyone should do it, buy one or two pieces less and help animals. Many of the organizations have programs to educate people in developping countries about the humane treatment of animals or to vaccinate dogs so they won`t be killed and so on…

5. Eva says:
    October 2nd, 2013 at 20:20

Zo sneu he. Je zou ze het liefst allemaal in je koffer meenemen. Toch hoorde ik van mijn schoonzus dat een man in Alanya alle katten van de straat plukt en laat castreren door een vriend van hem die dierenarts was en ze daarnaast iedere avond voert om ze een beter leven te geven. Vond ik echt zo mooi! Er is dus hoop :) xx

6. Nivi says:
    October 4th, 2013 at 19:59

I know the feeling because I too have seen that dogs and cats were living on the streets. Poor them really, the local folks and the government literally don’t care as they get used to seeing this and think they’re only animals. It just mostly happens in developing countries and it sure makes me upset. It just sucks when we can’t do anything about it.

You have a very big and kind heart. And I understand exactly how you feel. Animals need love and care, too, just like us humans.

7. erin says:
    October 8th, 2013 at 06:42

While this is a problem in Turkey, the government performs spaying and neutering of animals for free. Also, many people adopt street animals or take care of the ones in their neighborhoods. At first glance, a lot may seem sad and very different from what many are used to, however many people are taking small, but progressive, steps toward bettering the situation.

8. louise says:
    October 9th, 2013 at 10:50

Fijn te zien dat je om dieren geeft! Beter dan voer geven, kun je een donatie doen aan de lokale dierenhulporganisaties. Deze houden zich bezig met structurele hulp zoals bv castratie en sterilisatie. Volgens mij kun je op de website daar meer over vinden.

9. oceane says:
    October 9th, 2013 at 13:01

I sometimes come on your blog to look at your style and nice clothes you are presenting.
    But, for once, i am writing to you to say that I’ve already been in Bodrum and i know well this area. And what i can say is that Bodrum is the city of the animal lovers. And animals are not starving at all, especially cats. There is a lot of fish restaurants where cats eat.
    I could explain some more but i’m not here for this. I just wanted to tell you don’t worry for them, they live in good condition.
    So, thank you for all your photos and keep on this way :)